Fighting the 3pm Slump
It’s 3pm. You can barely keep your eyes open at your desk at work. You need something sweet to tie you over for the rest of the day, so you lean over to your draw and grab that chocolate bar. However, not even fifteen minutes later, you beat yourself up for falling off the wagon and are left feeling unsatisfied and hungry. Sound familiar?
Fighting 3:30 itis is a common but avoidable problem in today’s stressed out and caffeinated society. Below are my 5 top tips for beating the 3pm energy slump!
1) Eat a nourishing breakfast. Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. It improves your energy levels, your metabolism, stabilises your blood sugar levels and reduces your chances of over-consuming sugary, high kilojoule foods later in the day.
2) Include some form of good fat at each main meal, especially at the meal before your cravings usually start to kick in. Good fats include foods like avocado, olive oil, nuts and seeds and oily fish. The reason for this is that good fats are satiating, meaning they will keep you feeling fuller for longer.
3) Have healthier sweet options available (this is a game changer when you feel like someone has taken over your body). My favourite is bliss balls. Bliss balls are a great snack option for those with a sweet tooth as they are sweet, however still include a source of good fats, meaning you won’t need to eat a lot before feeling satisfied.
4) Add more green veggies into your day! Green veggies have a bitter taste, meaning they will help minimise our desire for something sweet.
5) Get some fresh air! Remove yourself from your desk and take a walk.
Choc-Cranberry Bliss Balls:
1/4 cup cranberries
1 cup almonds
2 cups shredded coconut
1/4 cup chia seeds
10 medjool dates, pitted
1/2 cup cacao powder
1/4 cup maple syrup
100g dark chocolate, melted
Soak cranberries in a bowl of boiling water for 20 minutes. Drain.
Add cranberries, almonds, coconut, chia seeds, dates, cacao and maple syrup into a high powered blender and blend until a smooth mixture forms. This may need to be done in smaller batches.
Roll mixture into 1 tbsp size balls.
Roll balls into melted chocolate and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Top with extra cranberries.
Freeze for 20 minutes or until the chocolate has set.
Now say goodbye to the 3pm slump and hello the energetic new you!